Apprenticeship Business Administration Apprentice
Business Administration Apprentice
Salary: £163.12 per week
Closing Date: 2019-06-13
Vacancy ID: 1211-0001-00017531
St Andrews is a unique and captivating place, and the University is a key part of its charm. Seven centuries of history link the students with the town, leading to the ancient and yet modern institution apparent today. For those interested in visiting or moving to St Andrews, we recommend taking a look at the town information, which describes the facilities and opportunities open to the local community. You can also find information about the University’s governance, history, and strategy for the future in the sections below.
The role holder will learn skills on the job while providing support for the Professional Services within the host academic school. Encompassing a variety of tasks, including finance, record keeping and administrative tasks, the Modern Apprentice will receive support to pursue a National Qualification.
Duties are varied and will include: reception administration, taking bookings; event organisation, handling telephone and email enquiries; editing and/or proofreading documents; diary management; gathering information required for reports (including representing information in different formats), maintaining mailing lists, and other general administrative tasks.
This role will be based in a host School but will have periods of secondment to other Schools and Units in order to provide experience in a wide range of administrative duties. Mentored and supported will be provided through the Modern Apprentice programme and it is anticipated that role holders will take the Business apprenticeship (SCQF Level 3) and, depending upon interest and demand from Schools and Units, undertake one of the Digital Marketing or Digital Applications schemes (SCQF level 6) during their two-year fixed term.
1. Reception and General Enquiries
- Undertaking reception duties; greeting all staff, students and visitors to the School in a professional and friendly manner;
- Receiving and returning student coursework;
- Dealing with a wide variety of telephone and e-mail enquiries in a professional and tactful manner; liaising with staff in other University units and Schools.
2. General Duties
- Sorting mail and dealing with special deliveries;
- Photocopying, scanning, filing;
- Dealing with Estates requests, including room moves;
- Regularly monitoring, maintaining and ordering supplies of stationery, paper, printer/photocopier consumables and coffee for staff common rooms and responding to individual stationery requests;
- Assisting with School orientation and induction events
- Assisting other professional services office holders as required;
- Assisting with room bookings;
- Organising catering and assisting with School Events;
- Arranging accommodation for visitors;
- Meeting organisation and the opportunity to learn minute taking;
- Diary management;
- Raising, approving and receipting purchase orders;
- Creating new vendors requests;
- Raising invoices and dealing with incoming invoices;
- Ensuring mismatches are regularly monitored and resolved;
- Acting as a point of contact for the School for the buyers’ network.
- Support with the practical arrangements during recruitment campaigns;
- The above list is not exhaustive and is a sample of duties and responsibilities, which will depend on the School/Unit that you will be based in. Tasks will vary between Schools and Units.
- Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Skills and Experience:
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good numeracy skills.
- Awareness of the importance of confidentiality.
- Methodical approach to dealing with routine tasks.
- Flexible and willing to learn.
- Demonstrate commitment to participate and complete a Modern Apprentice programme.
- Enjoys problem-solving and ‘trouble-shooting’ but knows when to escalate an issue.
- Working Hours: Full time/36.25 hours per week
- Grade/Salary Range: Year 1 – £8,482, £14,517 in year 2 subject to satisfactory performance
- You will have a host team that will ensure development and continuity of activities and learning outcomes. You will be given the opportunity to spend time with different Service Units and Schools, attending to mini-projects as well as helping with the day-to-day running of the School or Unit.
Fantastic apprenticeship opportunities available at the University of St Andrews. You can finish all your exams in school, secure your dream apprenticeship role and start employment at a world-renowned University.
“QA’s apprenticeship programmes may be funded in part by the European Union through the European Social Fund, which supports the development of employment opportunities and a skilled workforce.”
For more information about QA Apprenticeships, please visit our website. Note: This advert may close early if a suitable candidate is found before the advertised close date is reached.
How to Apply
Apply for this Job
39 total views, 2 today